University Foundation Programme
|Course Name||University Foundation Programme (UF)|
|Age Requirement||18 +|
|Level Requirement||Intermediate (B1 – C1)|
|Course Length||9 months (Oct-June)|
|Content||15 hours General English (Group Class)/ FCE preparation
3 hours EAP (English for Academic Purposes) in final term
3 hours ESP (English for Specific Purposes) in final term
|Timetable||Classes begin in October of the year before university entry.
10am –1pm; Mon-Fri (General English Classes)
2-5pm; Mon-Fri (Academic/Specific English classes)
|Average group size||Sept-June: 1-6 students (mornings)
Sept-June: 1-3 students (afternoons)
This 9-month programme is designed for those wishing to enter university either here or in the UK. In order to be sure of acceptance on a university programme students must have a proven level equivalent to FCE (upper-intermediate) or above. That is why preparation for this exam is a major element of the course. The school will help the student to apply for this examination at University College Cork which is the local testing centre. Depending on the student’s level on entry there are opportunities to take and retake the exam in December, March and June.
As you will also see the final term also includes a course in English for Academic Purposes which means preparation in the skills of listening/ speaking/reading and writing necessary for survival at university level and a course in English for Specific Purposes; English preparation for the student’s specialization at university i.e. Business, Law, Computing and so on.
A typical programme, for a student entering with intermediate level English, would follow this structure:
|Autumn (Oct -Dec) 12 weeks||General English|
|Winter (Jan – March) 12 weeks||General English
Preparation for FCE Examination in March
|Spring (April – June) 12 weeks||General English
English for Academic Purposes
English for Specific Purposes
Opportunities to retake FCE examination in June
Fees also include:
- All course materials and books
- Free transport on arrival from Killarney train or bus station
- An information pack with maps and guides on arrival
- A tour of Killarney Town Centre within first week of arrival at the school.
- Monthly meetings to monitor progress
- Bus transport to and from school
- Wifi and internet access
- Advice on university placement and English language examinations.
- Advice and help on finding appropriate accommodation
- A certificate of attendance and achievement on course completion.
- Free bike rental on a first come first served basis