General English Plus Afternoon Activities Course for Teenagers / Juniors (GE3)
Our Most Popular Course for Teens
The English + Afternoon activities programme is available for all teenagers . Teenage English classes are held at our teenage school in Lisivigeen, Killarney. There is a short video of the Lisivigeen school here . Teenagers also enjoy afternoon activities as well as a full day trip on Saturdays. We have students from all over the world and Killarney is one of the most famous towns in Ireland because of Killarney National Park and all the things you can do!
|Course Name||Standard Course (GE3)|
|Level Requirement||None: 6 different levels available from Beginner to Advanced (A1-C1)|
|Course Length||As required by the student|
|Content||15 hours General English (Group Class) Afternoon activities Saturday Day Trip (Excursion)|
|Timetable||Easter and Summer only 9.45 am –1pm; 2-5 pm Mon-Fri|
|Average Group Size||Easter, June and September 1-5 students July-August – 6-12 students|
|Price||€550 per week|
Family programmes for adults, teenagers and children age 3-12 run from June 21 to September 4.
Where is the Teenage School?
Teenagers are taught in Lisivigeen National School, a newly refurbished premises on the outskirts of Killarney, equipped with the most modern facilities. This is for the months of July and August. Classrooms are big, airy and spacious and there is a large sports hall for activities and end-of-week performances. Class sizes are small with on average 10 students per class (maximum 12) and there is a mix of nationalities, giving teenagers a greater chance to make friends and practice their English.
What will the students study?
The curriculum tends to follow a communicative approach focusing predominantly on improving speaking and listening techniques. The methodology then emphasises the use of role-play, situational dialogues, discussion and games to increase confidence and improve fluency. However, reading and writing skills are also incorporated, necessary as they are in supporting the act of communication, the reading in terms of the development of a solid vocabulary base and the writing in consolidating what has been learnt previously.
Grammar is seen as a critical element in the development of accurate language skills; however, it is not the primary focus of the class but instead introduced through the medium of authentic materials so that the aim of language as communication tool is constantly at the forefront of the teaching process. In order to reinforce the communicative and fun aspect of the course, there is a performance at the end of the week during which each class sings a song or performs a role play or sketch and awards are given for the best performance.
What are the different English Language Levels?
During the summer we run 6 levels for teenagers:
- Beginners: This is for teenagers with little or no English
- Elementary: This is for teenagers who can say a few basic things in English and understand short, simple conversations. They have a minimal vocabulary and know how to create the present tense.
- Pre-intermediate: This is for teenagers who can understand simple conversations and can speak a little (with mistakes) on most everyday topics. They have a basic vocabulary and know how to create the past and future tenses.
- Intermediate: This is for teenagers who can speak quite well on most topics and understand the general sense of most everyday conversations. They have a richer vocabulary about everyday topics and know how to create the conditional tenses in addition to those listed above.
- Upper-intermediate: This is for teenagers who still make some mistakes but can speak quite quickly and confidently on most topics including some specialist ones. They have a rich vocabulary and may know all the main tenses and some prepositional phrases.
- Advanced: This level is for teenagers who are able to use the structures of English with ease and fluency and can cope confidently in most situations, socially, professionally and in higher education.
Who are the teachers?
The teachers are all fully-qualified to teach English to teenagers and have had many years of teaching experience both in Ireland and abroad. They are therefore sensitive to the cultural, pedagogical and social needs of individual students. Our teenage coordinator is responsible for the overall smooth-running of the teenage programme by looking after the general needs of teachers and students and organising all afternoon activities. This should reassure parents that although their child/children are separate from them, they are being looked after and supervised at all times by professionals. There is also a bus that operates daily transporting students between the two schools which means that it is possible for parents to meet up with their children at the Muckross school for lunch and at 5pm.
What happens in the afternoon?
In the afternoon students do an afternoon activity programme. The teenage afternoon programme has more of a sports and outdoors emphasis including playing indoor volleyball and basketball,learning how to play Gaelic football and tag rugby as well as other fun activities in the national park like cycling, hill climbing, kayaking, scavenger hunts. Please see 2020 Provisional Teenager’s Activity Programme Summer 2020 (3)
Video Reference from Teenage Students:
Please see below a YouTube Playlist of short videos of former students describing their experiences in the School of English.
Fees also include:
- All course materials
- An information pack on arrival
- Bus transport to and from school
- Wi-Fi and internet access
- A certificate of attendance and achievement on completion of course
- Free bike rental on a first come first served basis
- Free access to the self-access room with readers, Exam Papers, Pronunciation guides, Reading and Writing Practice, Grammar and Vocabulary Practice, DVDs and English Language Magazines.
Would you like more information?
- If you have any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you want information on our other courses please click here
- If you wish to book a courses please click here