General English Language Course for Children (3-12)
Our Most Popular Course
The General English Language Course is available for all students; to adults (18 +), teenagers (13-17) and to small children (3-12) Children’s classes are held in the ‘Kidzone’ on the same site as adults. Each course is designed specifically to suit the required age group. All courses cover the four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing with a specific emphasis on improving oral communication. Materials are taken from a whole range of diverse texts in order to tailor-make the course to each group of students.
|Course Name||General English Language Course (GE1)|
|Age Requirement||3 -12|
|Level Requirement||None: 5 different levels available from Introduction to Pre Intermediate (pre A1-B1)|
|Course Length||As required by the student|
|Content||15 hours General English (Group Class)|
|Timetable||Children: Easter and Summer only 9.45 am –1pm; Mon-Fri|
|Average Group Size||Children Easter, June & September (1-5 students) July & August: (6-12 students)|
|Price||€300 per week|
What do the children study?
The children’s English language curriculum is designed to make the act of language learning both fun and stimulating for young learners. It combines the most up-to-date communicative language teaching methodology with role play, songs and games to ensure that children leave with a positive feeling about their learning experience in Killarney.
Where do the children study?
The children study at the Kids Zone which is located on the same site as the main adult school. It consists of 5 classrooms, a performance area, picnic tables and large play area. Its close proximity to the main building, where the adults have classes, means that you can keep an eye on your children, while enjoying your own classes in peace. Our teachers are all fully-trained in teaching English to young learners and the course methodology reflects all the current thought in language teaching . Class sizes are small (no more than 10 students per class) which means that each child can receive a lot of teacher attention. In addition, we have a children’s coordinator who is responsible for looking after all teacher and student needs and for organising all afternoon activities. This should make parents secure in the knowledge that their little ones are safe and getting the most out of their classes.
Please See a YouTube Video of our children’s Area ‘Kidzone’
What are the different English Language levels?
As with the parents, children age 7-12 will be asked to complete a short written test before their arrival at the school. This will enable us to put them in the appropriate level. During the first morning the teacher will assess their level again through spoken interaction. If the teacher feels that the child is in the wrong level, a decision can be made in conjunction with the children’s coordinator, director of the school and parents to move them up or down a level. We offer 5 levels
- Introductory 1: This level is mainly for the 3-5 year age range who have little or no English and can only cope with very basic vocabulary.
- Introductory 2: This level is mainly for the 6-7 age range who again have little or no English but have the ability to learn more advanced sets of vocabulary and very basic grammatical structures.
Please see a short YouTube video of adult students describing the English teachers their children age 3-6
For the 7-12s there are three possible levels depending on the children’s scores in the test and their performance in class on the first day.
- Beginner: This level is for those children who have little or no English but are old enough to make rapid progress.
- Elementary: This level is for those children who already have a fair vocabulary base for everyday topics and a grasp of certain grammatical structures such as the present simple tense.
- Pre-intermediate: This level is for those children who have a very good vocabulary base for everyday topics and some knowledge of different tenses such as the present, past and future tenses
Please see a short YouTube video of adult students describing the English teachers their children age 7-12
Video Reference from Students:
Please see below a YouTube Playlist of short videos of former students describing their experiences in the School of English.
Fees also include:
- All course materials
- An information pack on arrival
- Bus transport to and from school
- Wi-Fi and internet access
- A certificate of attendance and achievement on completion of course
- Free bike rental on a first come first served basis
- Free access to the self-access room with readers, Exam Papers, Pronunciation guides, Reading and Writing Practice, Grammar and Vocabulary Practice, DVDs and English Language Magazines.
Would you like more information?
If you have any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want information on our other courses please click here
If you wish to book a courses please click here