Learn English Language and Work in Killarney.
Would you like the chance to learn English and work in Killarney for 8 months? The AY2 programme offers you 25 weeks of General English at our school at Killarney National Park. To help you pay for this you can work up to 20 hour per week while studying and up to 40 hours per week for the 8 weeks you do not study.
This programme is on the Irish Government’s Interim Lisit of Eligible Programmes to obtain a Visa.
General English Academic Year / Work and Study (AY2)
|Course Name||Academic Year Programme|
|Level Requirement||None: 6 different levels available from Beginner to Advanced (A1-C1) There is a short YouTube playlist of the some of the different English language levels we offer classes at for adults.|
|Course Length||25 weeks|
|Content||15 hours General English (Group Class)|
|Timetable||Classes available all year Sept-June: 09.45 am-1 pm Mon-Fri July-Aug: 2-5 pm Mon-Fri|
|Average Group Size||Sept-June: 1-6 students (mornings)
July- Aug: 1-6 students (afternoons)
|Price||AY2 – €3000 (This course allows you to stay in Ireland for 8 months)|
Fees also include:
- All course materials and books
- An information pack with maps and guides.
- WiFi and internet access
- Advice on university placement and English language examinations
- Advice and help on finding appropriate accommodation
- A certificate of attendance and achievement on course completion
- Free bike rental on a first come first served basis
- Free access to the self-access room with Graded Readers, Exam Papers, Pronunciation guides, Reading and Writing Practice, Grammar and Vocabulary Practice, DVDs and English Language Magazines.
Fees to NOT include.
· Medical Health Insurance. If you wish us to arrange this, this usually costs €70. This has to be paid before arrival.
· Text book. After one week when we are sure of your level, you will have to purchase your course text book. We can help you do this. You will need to buy new versions of these textbooks to get the code to access online materials. All text books costs c €25-30. Depending on your level, you will have to purchase
o Level A0-A2 – Practical Grammar Level 1
o Level B1 – Destination B1
o Level B2 – C1 Destination B2
· Examination fees. Depending on your English level, you will have to take an exam before you finish your course. This can be paid for after you arrive at school. The price varies from €150-200. We arrange the following exams
o Level A2 – Trinity ISE Foundation
o Level B1 – Cambridge PET
o Level B2 – Cambridge FCE / IELTS 6.0
o Level C1 – Cambridge CAE / IELTS 7.0
Please see a YouTube playlist of Long Term students describing living, working and studying in Killarney.
Where can I live?
There are many accommodation options available in Killarney including host families, self-catering, B & Bs, hotels and apartments. One of the most popular options for those in long-stay programmes is to stay with a host family for the first few weeks and then to find an apartment or room in a house, sharing with others for the remainder of their stay. Killarney School of English can give advice and help in finding such an apartment or room when they make the decision to change.
How do I enrol in the school and get a visa?
The procedure for enrolment for non-EU students is as follows:
Step 1 Complete an application form and send it to us. You can apply on line here
Step 2 We will send an invoice to you
Step 3 Send payment to the school’s account and complete the placement test at https://www.ksoe.com/placement-test/ (We will also give you a speaking and listening test when you arrive at school)
Step 4 As soon as the placement test and payment are received, we will forward a letter of invitation for your visa.
Step 5 If visa is refused, fees are refunded less bank charges and a €100 administration fee.
What happens when you arrive?
On arrival a specific study programme is created for students taking into account their level of English, their aim for the term of the programme and the length of time that they are here to study. We will also give you a spoken English test of necessary.
What do I require to get a visa when I am in Killarney?
– A school letter confirming that you have a place on the course
– A letter from your bank in Ireland showing that you have more than €3000 in your account (You can open a bank account after you arrive here and the school can give you a letter to help you open this account)
– Full medical insurance. The policy must be in English. We can help with this if necessary. If we arrange this it costs €100 (€70 for 8 months)
– €300 fee to be paid to the Immigration authorities by credit card
Students can commence any one of the above programmes at any time of year and we can integrate preparation for any of the Cambridge Examinations (PET, FCE, CAE or IELTS) into any of the terms provided the student has the appropriate level of English on entry. There are opportunities to take either of these examinations in December/ March and June at University College Cork, our local testing centre.
Working in Killarney.
Killarney is a very busy tourist town (the third busiest in Ireland) and there are many jobs in the tourism industry especially from March to September. These jobs are usually in hotels, B&Bs, restaurants or pubs. There are local newspapers www.killarneyadvertiser.ie and https://killarneyoutlook.com/ with available jobs. Often when you speak to the students already here, they know about jobs available. The school very often posts available jobs on the school Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Killarneyschoolofenglish
Our adult school is open all year for adults (except the 2 weeks of Christmas). The school is closed on all National Bank holidays.
What are the rules?
The full tuition fee must be paid in advance in order to be granted an acceptance letter. This acceptance letter must show a local address in the Killarney area. If you do not have accommodation arranged, we can organise this for you in a host family. This acceptance letter will be needed for you to be granted a visa from the nearest Irish embassy.
This will enable you to enter Ireland and you will then have to get a student visa within one month. We can help you with this.
Please see here for further information and full terms and conditions.
If you have any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want information on our other courses please click here
If you wish to book a courses please click here