English Plus Afternoon Activities because Killarney has so much to offer!
English Plus Activities Course Description:
The English Plus Activities Course is designed for those students that wish to take part in a group class in the mornings but would also like to enjoy the school’s interesting and varied afternoon activity programme. The course includes a Saturday Day Trip.
The English Plus Activities Course is available for all students; to adults (18 +), teenagers (13-17) and to small children (3-12) Adult English classes are held in the main school building opposite Killarney National Park. Children’s classes are held in the ‘Kidzone’ on the same site.
|Course Name||English Plus Activities (GE3)|
|Age Requirement||3 -12|
|Level Requirement||None: 5 different levels available from Introduction to Pre Intermediate (pre A1-B1)|
|Course Length||As required by the student|
|Content||15 hours General English (Group Class)
Saturday Day trip (Excursion)
|Timetable||Easter and Summer only Mon-Fri
9.45 am –1pm
|Average Group Size||Children Easter, June & September (1-5 students) July & August: (6-12 students)|
|Price||€450 per week|
NOTE: The activity programmes are also available on a part-time basis for adults and small children. This means that it is possible to pick and choose activities from the listing available on the first day of the course and to pay per activity rather than sign up to the whole activity programme.
What do the children study?
The children’s English language curriculum is designed to make the act of language learning both fun and stimulating for young learners. It combines the most up-to-date communicative language teaching methodology with role play, songs and games to ensure that children leave with a positive feeling about their learning experience in Killarney.
Where do the children study?
The children study at the Kids Zone which is located ont e same site as the main adult school. It consists of 5 classrooms, a performance area, picnic tables and large play area. Its close proximity to the main building, where the adults have classes, means that you can keep an eye on your children, while enjoying your own classes in peace. Our teachers are all fully-trained in teaching English to young learners and the course methodology reflects all the current thought in language teaching . Class sizes are small (no more than 10 students per class) which means that each child can receive a lot of teacher attention. In addition, we have a children’s coordinator who is responsible for looking after all teacher and student needs and for organising all afternoon activities. This should make parents secure in the knowledge that their little ones are safe and getting the most out of their classes.
Please See a YouTube Video of our children’s Area ‘Kidzone’
What are the different English Language levels?
As with the parents, children age 7-12 will be asked to complete a short written test before their arrival at the school. This will enable us to put them in the appropriate level. During the first morning the teacher will assess their level again through spoken interaction. If the teacher feels that the child is in the wrong level, a decision can be made in conjunction with the children’s coordinator, director of the school and parents to move them up or down a level. We offer 5 levels
- Introductory 1: This level is mainly for the 3-5 year age range who have little or no English and can only cope with very basic vocabulary.
- Introductory 2: This level is mainly for the 6-7 age range who again have little or no English but have the ability to learn more advanced sets of vocabulary and very basic grammatical structures.
Please see a short YouTube video of adult students describing the English teachers their children age 3-6
For the 7-12s there are three possible levels depending on the children’s scores in the test and their performance in class on the first day.
- Beginner: This level is for those children who have little or no English but are old enough to make rapid progress.
- Elementary: This level is for those children who already have a fair vocabulary base for everyday topics and a grasp of certain grammatical structures such as the present simple tense.
- Pre-intermediate: This level is for those children who have a very good vocabulary base for everyday topics and some knowledge of different tenses such as the present, past and future tenses
Please see a short YouTube video of adult students describing the English teachers their children age 7-12.
What happens in the afternoons?
The children do afternoon activities from 2-5 pm. The programme has more of an educational focus with activities such as arts and crafts, drama, Irish dancing, nature trails as well as fun activities such as visits to indoor and outdoor play areas and animal farms. All activities are performed through the medium of English and are closely supervised by school staff, often teachers themselves. Please see 2020 Provisional Children’s Activity Programme Summer 2020 (1)
Please see a short YouTube video of families discussing our Afternoon Activities.
What are the family Day Trips?
Also included is a GE3 Activity Programme every Saturday is a day trip to one of the following destinations:
- Day Trip to Glengarriff boat trip over to Garnish Island; a paradise of gardens and tropical plants.
- Day Trip to the quaint picturesque town of Dingle; boat trip to see Fungi the dolphin with its magnificent views of the Atlantic Ocean
- Day Trip to Kenmare and Star Sailing cruise into Kenmare Bay to see the grey seals and other unique wildlife
- Sightseeing visit to Cork including trip to the famous English Market.
Prices also include:
- All course materials
- An information pack on arrival
- Bus transport to and from school
- Wifi and internet access (adults only)
- A certificate of attendance and achievement on completion of course
- Free bike rental on a first come first served basis
If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com
If you want information on our other courses please click here
If you wish to book a courses please click here