English Academic Year Programmes
The following programmes are included in the Department of Education and Science’s Internationalisation register of programmes approved by the Minister for Education and Science for the purpose of access to employment by students from outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland.
|Course Name||Academic Year Programme|
|Level Requirement||None: 6 different levels available from Beginner to Advanced (A1-C1)|
|Course Length||AY1 – 12 weeks
AY2 – 25 weeks
|Content||15 hours General English (Group Class)|
|Timetable||Classes available all year Sept-June: 10am-1pm Mon-Fri July-Aug: 2-5pm Mon-Fri|
|Average Group Size||Sept-June: 1-6 students (mornings)
July-Aug: 6-10 students (mornings)
July- Aug: 1-6 students (afternoons)
|Price||AY2 – €3000 (This course allows you to stay in Ireland for 8 months)|
English Academic Year Course Summary:
|This programme is designed for students who have more time at their disposal to learn English and who wish to become proficient in English by being immersed in the language and in the culture for a long period of time. Before arrival, students are tested and a specific study programme is created for them taking into account their level of English, their aim for the term of the programme and the length of time they are here to study.Students can commence any one of the above programmes at any time of year and we can integrate preparation for any of the Cambridge Examinations (FCE/CAE) into any of the terms, provided the student has the appropriate level of English on entry. There are opportunities to take either of these examination in December, March or June at University College Cork, our local testing centre. (The above costs do not include examination fees)
There are many accommodation options available in Killarney including host families, self-catering, B & Bs, hotels and apartments. One of the most popular options for those in long-stay programmes is to stay with a host family for the first few weeks and then to find an apartment or room in a house, sharing with others for the remainder of their stay. Killarney School of English can give advice and help in finding such an apartment or room when they make the decision to change.
Prices also include:
- All course materials and books
- Preparation towards Cambridge FCE and CAE examinations if desired (enrolment fee not included)
- Free transport on arrival from Killarney train or bus station
- An information pack with maps and guides.
- A tour of Killarney Town centre within the first week of arrival at the school
- Wifi and internet access
- Advice on university placement and English language examinations
- Advice and help on finding appropriate accommodation
- A certificate of attendance and achievement on course completion
- Free bike rental on a first come first served basis
Visas to Study English
The procedure for enrolment for non-EU students is as follows:
Step 1 Complete an application form and send it to us. You can apply on line here
Step 2 We will send an invoice to you
Step 3 Send payment to the school’s account and complete the placement test at http://www.ksoe.com/placement-test/
Step 4 As soon as the placement test and payment are received, we will forward a letter of invitation for your visa.
Step 5 If visa is refused, fees are refunded less bank charges and a €100 administration fee.
The full tuition fee must be paid in advance in order to be granted an acceptance letter. This acceptance letter must show a local address and telephone number in the Killarney area. If you do not have accommodation arranged, we can organise this for you in a host family. This acceptance letter will be needed for you to be granted a visa from the nearest Irish embassy.
This will enable you to enter Ireland and you will then have to get a student visa within one month. We can help you with this.
You will require:
– A school letter confirming that you have a place on the course
– A letter from your bank in Ireland showing that you have more than €3000 in your account (You can open a bank account after you arrive here and the school can give you a letter to help you open this account)
– Full medical insurance. The policy must be in English. We can help with this if necessary. If we arrange this it costs €100 (€65 for 8 months)
– €300 fee to be paid to the Immigration authorities by credit card